December 16, 2011

Walking In A Winter Wonderland - Holiday Recipes

Today my Lovely sister Brittany is stopping by to share some of her delicious and very simple holiday recipes. Trust me, these treats are highly addicting, consider yourself warned.


One Christmas memory I will always have is of my Mother making cookie sheet after cookie sheet of candy. She starts just before Thanksgiving and keeps the candy production rolling right up until the week of Christmas. She learned the art of candy making from her Mother & Father (restaurant owners) and Grandmother. I'm not to the point where I can perfect her recipes. She slaves away all day and at times is disappointed by the outcome because they don't look professional enough. One day I hope to get there but for now I'm far far away! I need fast easy fool proof recipes! These of course hold no candle to her amazing candies but they'll do! (:


I found this recipe in the Costco cookbook (Home Cooking the Costco Way) and fell in love. This spiced walnut recipe is my favorite spiced nut recipe ever! I eat them until my tongue starts swelling! The recipe requires no cooking skills at all and is pretty quick (well I multitask while they bake so it seems quick). Make a bowl for a party or give them as a gift, just be warned that you might eat a bowl before you leave the house so you may want to make two batches! This year I spiced four batches and bought cute tins from the dollar store, filled the tin (with pistachios & almonds as well). I wrapped each tin with cellophane and a cute ribbon. Super simple! I had neighbor gifts done in one afternoon, so nice! An added bonus is the way the delicious smell fills the entire house! Enjoy!

Spiced Walnuts
1 Egg White
1 Tbsp Water
2 Cups Walnut halves & pieces
1/2 Cup Sugar
1 Tbsp Cinnamon
1/2 tsp Ground Allspice
Bake 225*F Bake for 1 hour stirring every 15 minutes

- Preheat oven to 225*F
- Mix the egg white & water in a bowl and beat with a hand mixer until foamy.
- Add 2 cups of walnuts to the egg mixture & stir to coat. (The recipe says 2 cups but I use 3. 2 leaves the spices a bit strong for my taste)
- After I mix the nuts & egg white mixture, I transfer nuts into a strainer and let the excess liquid drain off while I prepare the spices.
- In a gallon size zip lock bag add 1/2 C. Sugar, 1 Tbsp Cinnamon and 1/2 tsp Ground Allspice. Shake until it's all mixed.
- Line a cookie sheet with tin foil
- Pour nuts into bag and shake to coat.
- Pour coated nuts onto cookie sheet
- Place in oven and bake for one hour, stirring every 15 minutes. (My husband likes them baked for 45 minutes, he seems to think they are a bit softer & prefers them that way. I don't care either way! I'll eat them all no matter what!


Turtles
1 Bag pretzels
1 Bag Rolos
1 Bag walnuts

- Preheat oven 325*F
- Unwrap Rolos
- Cover a cookie sheet with wax paper
- Place Pretzels on cookie sheet
- Center Rolo on top of each Pretzel
- Bake at 325* F for 3 to 4 minutes
- Remove from oven and press 1 walnut in the center of each Rolo (I don't think there is a wrong way to do this, the chocolate & caramel just squish out covering the pretzel)
- Let cool, remove from cookie sheet and Enjoy!

If you couldn't tell I like simple yet delicious recipes. This recipe does it for me! My children love to help in the kitchen so I let them unwrap and place all the Rolos on top of the pretzels. Makes my job easier and they are happy to be helping! Pretty fool proof recipe, great for me!

Happy baking!

Stay tuned for Walking In A Winter Wonderland- Part 2, Christmas Decor


We'll step through the door of this beautifully decorated home for a few Christmas decorating ideas!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogging tips